Friday, December 3, 2010

Willem de Kooning in Venice

I am a lucky girl. I just had a chunk of time to kill and remembered that the Willem de Kooning exhibit Figure & Light is up now through January 15, 2011 up the street at my neighbor's place (L & M Arts).


The show covers a wide time range, from his more realistic Women series of paintings of the 1950's on up until he got a lot more abstract in the 80's (and some say a lot more crazy). Val Kilmer played de Kooning in Pollack, but after you read up a bit about de Kooning himself, you want to see the movie about HIM.


This picture of de Kooning is joined by his quote, "Just because you're getting older doesn't mean you're getting any better but I have a feeling I can do it better now." Decide for yourself.

I can't tell you how nice it is to just zip on my bike or stroll a half block to see world class art - for free - and escape the whirlwind of Venice Boulevard by staring at paintings from another time in the total silence of the Gallery. We were the only people there ... maybe the best way to view art, uninfluenced by any other factors at all, save for your own thoughts.


I intentionally kept the photograph I took inside far away so you can go in there and conjure up your own thoughts about it, letting your mind wander where it may.

Enjoy the head trip.

And Happy First December Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment